The Contemporary Learner

The Contemporary Learner

Willis and Robinson: Creativity in Schools

It was interesting hearing Willis and Robinson discuss the importance of creativity and curiosity in the classroom. In my experience as a student, I found that my curiosity peaked in my visual art, photography and home ec. classes. One of my teachers was a short and eccentric lady who wore the most colourful outfits and often you would never know what was going to come out of her mouth. She would even get involved in painting or sculpting and the whole class would be fascinated to watch her get involved in what we were doing and create the wackiest things. Such small details from my most creative classes have stuck with me and I now realise, it was that change in the traditional method of teaching and out of the ordinary behaviours, that sparked my brain's attention and captured my curiosity. 

During both my professional practices, I found the teaching styles to be very traditional (students in rows, teacher-centred learning, textbook readings and worksheets, very minimal creativity). I believe this lesson was delivered and presented this way because the school was based on traditional values, the teacher similarly believed this was an effective way of teaching-learning based on her experiences and perhaps she could have made use of the student's BYO devices created more visually appealing/colourful tasks and given the subject, Food Tech, perhaps she could have used the change in the environment or something new sparks the brain's attention and captures curiosity physical ingredients to demonstrate food fusions, food groups etc. 

However in my current school, there is a flare for the creative and different modes of teaching and learning especially using digital pedagogies - creation and design tools, forms of presentations including videos/podcasts/blogs etc. I can confidently say I have experienced many creative opportunities in my university units, I especially enjoyed creating infographics to depict my understanding of educational policies and procedures, I enjoyed creating a textile technology assignment from scratch to then complete the assignment myself in the form of a creative design journal and I really enjoy styling and designing my own ePortfolio and blogs to reflect who I am as a teacher across many different units.

Contemporary Society and a Linear & Progressive Curriculum?

The idea that a curriculum is linear and assuming that by progressive it is meant that you must achieve the first skill in order to progress to the next, is not realistic. Considering the society we live in is so fast-paced and often development comes from individual pace and mode of learning, this idea suggests that there is a universal pathway to a single learning outcome. If I am understanding this reflection question correctly, the implications would be limited access to the curriculum for those students who do not respond to the linear and progressive teaching-learning style. From this, they cannot progress further or on the same basis as the rest of the class. 

Gen Z learners in a Traditional Classroom?
Gen Z learners are creative, high-aspiring, innovative creatures who have a thirst for learning the importance of real-world aspects and how they work. "Intrigued and challenged, they're constantly searching for ways to hack life and work" (Sparks & Honey: Gen Z), they also crave a digital connection in some form as this is how they envision their future. In terms of their engagement and learning, there needs to be a sense of justice and relevance to what they are learning and be co-creators in this. 

In the 'traditional' classroom video, the teacher's tone of voice is monotone with no enthusiasm or charisma to spark students interest and engagement. Beyond this, the teacher demonstrates a lack of questioning techniques by saying "anyone, anyone?" then answering for them. This kind of teaching and learning is known as "chalk and talk" and it is clear that Gen Z learners would not respond to this kind of delivery and question traditional choices as their needs are not being met. Additionally, the video depicts students "paying attention" however zoned out whereas, in my opinion, Gen Z students would become restless and find their own ways to stimulate themselves in this classroom (welcoming behaviour issues beyond lack of learning).

Developing Professional Learning Networks using ICTs

In my further readings, I have found that ICTs can be important tools to help meet such increased needs, by helping to provide access to more and better educational content, aid in routine administrative tasks, provide models and simulations of effective teaching practices, and enable learner support networks, both in face to face and distance. Professional learning networks can be built through social media's such as LinkedIn and Pinterest and websites such as Twinkl (teaching-learning resource sharing space). These kinds of ICT link mutual connections within education and allow access to opportunities and professional development through online platforms such as Zoom. This makes me feel connected, positive and fulfilled as a Gen Z pre-service teacher as it provides a more flexible and inclusive way to enhance connections locally, nationally and globally especially across multiple subject areas and year levels.


References

sparks & honey. (2020). Gen Z. Retrieved from https://www.sparksandhoney.com/gen-z 

Comments